Vegetables are the antizombie, rising out of the ground to demand we devour their artichoke hearts and cauliflower brains. Hunt down some new green friends with today’s Groupon: with today’s Groupon to Ethiopiques. Choose between the following options:
- For $19, you get a traditional Ethiopian dinner for two (up to a $40.50 total value) that includes:
- One salad or appetizer (up to a $7 value)
- Two entrees chosen from vegetarian, poultry, beef, or lamb options (up to a $14 value each)
- One dessert (up to a $5.50 value)<p>
- For $35, you get a traditional Ethiopian dinner for four (up to an $81 value) that includes:
- Two salads or appetizers (up to a $7 value each)
- Four entrees. Choose from vegetarian, poultry, beef, or lamb options (up to a $14 value each)
- Two desserts (up to a $5.50 value each)<p>
The culinary artisans at Ethiopiques cull traditional recipes from central Africa to craft a broad menu characterized by flavourful beef, lamb, chicken, and vegetarian/vegan specialties. Entrees such as sautéed beef or lamb t’ibs and spicy lentil stew arrive on crepe-like injera bread, which deftly replaces forks by being flexible enough to scoop hearty bites and scratch hard-to-reach spots on the back. Diners may further experiment with injera by sampling the timatim fitfit appetizer, a chilled mélange of injera bits, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and jalapeno. Like Frank Zappa’s yearbook picture, dessert comes last and, at Eithiopiques, takes the form of strawberry shortcake, chocolate mocha cake, or tiramisu.
During traditional Ethiopian meals, diners typically eschew silverware, instead using pieces of spongy, sourdough injera bread to scoop stewed meats and vegetables off a communal tray. At Ethiopiques, this selection includes spicy blends of simmered red lentils, raw or rare steak tartare with fiery chili powder, and sautéed lamb with caramelized onions and fresh rosemary.
227 Church St.
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1Y7