What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | Olive Juice, Too
Douse your pasta in Popeye's main squeeze and fortify your New Year's resolution to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor with today's Groupon to Extra Virgin, an Olive Ovation. For $10, you'll get $25 worth of artisan oils and epicurean gifts at this gourmet market, which specializes in international and flavored olive oils, aged balsamic vinegars, fine wine, and specialty foods and gifts. Impress snooty foodies with your impeccable palate, sneak unsurpassed flavor into your family's meals and collect the resulting plaudits, or give friends a holiday gift filled with tastiness.
Located in The Shoppes at The Crescent, across from the Ritz Carlton in Clayton where your future soulmate will be watching you from the 8th floor balcony, this handsome shop is a library of heart-healthy flavors, with floor-to-ceiling wood shelves lined with colorful oils and food items. Stop in to browse cookbooks and table linens, or pick up one of Extra Virgin's soaps or lotions made with skin-nourishing olive oil to keep your hands smooth all winter, no matter how many icy snowballs you hurl at your enemies.
Taste your pick of extra virgin olive oils ($21+) or tempt your tongue with an 18-year balsamic vinegar ($24.95). Though artisan oils cost more than the grocery store variety, even sparing amounts will impart superior flavor to your salads, breads, pastas, Funyuns, and veggies. Try out Extra Virgin's flavored olive oils ($17.95), such as lemon ginger or garlic and thyme, to add a relatively inexpensive zing to your salad greens.
Owner Marianne Prey, M.D., is a retired physician who has studied the benefits of a diet rich in olives and olive oil, and she has been formally educated about the olive oil industry. Because good olive oil and vinegar are as much investments in your health as in your culinary success, Marianne Prey will lead you through an educational tasting of the oils and vinegars in her boutique. She'll tell you how each oil is produced, how it is best served, and what distinguishes it from others.
- The store has been a hidden gem in Clayton since 1997 and is about all things olive. It is an olive lover's dream with all kinds of olives from all over the world, 14 different varieties as a matter of fact. They also have a variety of vinegars as well as olive oil soap, olive oil candles, shampoo, conditioner, face cream, lip balm, and hand cream. The second most popular use of olive oil is to tone and moisturize the skin. – Walt Crocker, Associated Content
- This shop has LOTS of olive oil options, with many of them available to taste. It's really a great place to go if you are looking for a unique or quality olive oil. – Kevin D., Yelp
- There is an olive oil tasting bar, an olive bar, and a nice selection of olive oils, bottles, and other items such as sundried tomatoes and fleur du sel, and bath/body products made with olive oil. – Sarah H., Yelp
Olive Juice, Too
Be careful mouthing the words olive juice to that stranger sitting across from you on the bus. At a casual glance, your lips may read as I love you, in a misleading linguistic overlap. If the damage is already done and there’s currently someone perplexedly staring at you, here are some quick conservational recoveries:
- I love you—in that fisherman’s hat. You look exactly like Denis Leary.
- I love you—nicorns, but I’ve never seen one in real life. I’m told they more resemble deer than horses, but white or, perhaps, seafoam green. It’s natural to want to touch them, but you shouldn’t, ever.
- I love you—sing Windows 7. I’m a PC! Or is it a Mac? I can’t wait to get a computer. Say, you look like a smart fella, how many rams should I buy?
Repeat until stranger gets off bus or agrees to marry you.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 9, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person. May purchase multiple as gifts. In-store purchases only. Must redeem in single visit. Not valid with other offers. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.