Choose from Three Options
- $8 for admission for two ($16 value)
- $15 for admission for four ($32 value)
- $21 for admission for six ($48 value)
Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve
Spring means daffodils and primroses. Summer means herbs and butterflies. Fall means richly colored leaves and ornamental grasses. Throughout the year, Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve's 105 acres of protected landscapes burst with vibrant plant life. By inviting visitors to explore these rich environments, Fernwood hopes to foster greater appreciation for the wonders of the natural world.
- 20 themed gardens include everything from a lily pond to a fragrant collection of more than 200 kinds of herbs.
- In the 5-acre prairie, wildflowers sprout alongside grasses that can grow as tall as a person's head, recreating an increasingly rare Midwestern habitat.
- Trails snake throughout the nature preserve's 55 acres of forests, streams, and other natural environments, which are home to endangered or threatened Midwestern plant species.
- Deer, groundhogs, and various small mammals make their homes throughout the garden and occasionally visit the nature center's feeding station.
- Snapping turtles, large-mouth bass, and bull frogs appear in the various ponds.
- Over the decades, more than 130 species of birds, from bluebirds to bald eagles, have been spotted flitting between the trees.
- Works in various mediums adorn the walls of the Clark Art Gallery, whose exhibits change every two months.
- Pieces by local sculptors are occasionally displayed throughout the gardens.
- From May to September, classical musicians perform outdoor concerts on the second Sunday of every month.
Exhibits and Culture
- At the Railway Garden, model trains circle around life-like replicas of local buildings and landmarks created from natural materials.
- A five-room stick sculpture called Take Five that was designed by Patrick Dougherty stands on display.
- Sculpture Fernwood showcases pieces created by local artists that will be featured until September 2015.