Once mastered, chopsticks are the most manageable eating utensils, unlike forks, which get mangled in the dishwasher, or fingers, which get lost in the mouths of teething sock puppets. Eat easily with today’s Groupon: for $35, you get a sushi dinner for two at Friend House (up to a $79 total value), which includes the following:
- Edamame (a $5 value)
- A choice of the following:
- One tobiko duo (a $12 value)
- One order of dumplings (a $7 value)
- Chef’s choice of sushi and sashimi (a $32 value)
- A choice of two of the following specialty rolls (up to a $30 total value):
- Black Angel roll (a $15 value)
- Twin spicy roll (a $12 value)
- Dancing Eel Dragon roll (an $11 value)
- Passion roll (a $12 value)
- Sakura roll (a $12 value)
- Friend House roll (a $13 value)
- Fire Island roll (a $12 value)</p>
The seasoned sushi chefs at Friend House stimulate senses with pan-Asian dishes and creative sushi rolls. When couples arrive, steamed edamame morsels bathed in sea salt whet appetites while guests decide on their next courses. The tobiko duo offers slices of salmon and spicy tuna topped with tiny mounds of fish roe, and dumplings present palates with pockets of traditional flavor. Next, chefs select the finest sushi and sashimi, which they unveil with a dramatic flourish reminiscent of a young David Copperfield’s cod-in-hat trick, before diners devour the two rolls of their choice. The Black Angel roll coats seared tuna and asparagus with pepper-garlic sauce—a concoction not to be outdone by the Twin spicy roll, wherein succulent slices of yellowtail swim through streams of spicy mayo. The Dancing Eel Dragon roll dons a delicate garment of avocado as it capers through the dining room challenging guests to pop-and-lock dance-offs.
New York magazine describes the interior as a “sleek, industrial-modern space—more London than New York,” where “chunky tables in bold hues” and a “waterfall-backed patio and garden” welcome incoming guests. Although not included in this deal, the comestible experts at Friend House are skilled in the art of drink making and at engraving chopsticks with Constitutional amendments.
The value of this Groupon may be redeemed at Hawkers.
225 E 14th St.
Manhattan, New York 10003