Retro Hotel in Laid-Back Ojai Valley
Everything about the brightly lit, ultra-mod lobby of The Capri Hotel—from its all-white, midcentury furniture to its modernist glass walls supporting an A-frame roof—harks back to a time when airplane passengers wore suits and cocktails were a staple at the office. The hotel's retro entrance contrasts, however, with contemporary guest rooms sporting sleek furnishings, bright green walls, and a sizable 42-inch mounted plasma TV.
Each room also comes with a VCR/DVD player for in-room screenings of movies borrowed from the hotel's library of 400 videos, encompassing action thrillers, tearjerkers, and enthralling footage of Kennedy-era Agriculture Subcommittee hearings. Ground-floor rooms boast large fenced-in patios for soaking up the clean night air. Upstairs, private balconies offer views of the famous Ojai “pink moment” when the sunset fades into pastels, filling the sky with a soft blush.
Come morning, guests breakfast on fresh waffles served in the lobby before heading outdoors to lounge beside two modest pools and take in sweeping views of the Topa Topa Mountains. Mr. Vivian, the hotel's resident cat, stalks the grounds as yogis salute the sun under the watchful eye of a life-size Buddha statue. For further de-stressification, the in-house masseuse, Laura, rejuvenates both mind and body with massages designed to unclog blocked chakras.
Ojai Valley, California: Bohemian Living and Farm-to-Table Dining
The quirky, pedestrian-friendly hideaway of Ojai—which derives its name from a Chumash word meaning "moon"—is known for its fragrant orange groves and laid-back spirit congenial to artists and bohemians. Among many farm-to-table dining options, Farmer and the Cook serves organic, locally sourced food in the Mariner’s Oaks portion of the city, located a short drive from the hotel.
A stroll down Ojai Avenue, the town's main thoroughfare, showcases Spanish-style architecture and a host of attractions, including wine tastings, art galleries, and artisan pizza at local favorite La Fonte. On Sundays, the farmers' market purveys local delicacies such as cheese, avocados, and raw Ojai Chocolat made without dairy, sugar, or the assistance of Oompa Loompas.
What You Get
- For $149, a two-night stay for four in a king or double-queen room, valid Sunday–Thursday
- Or, for $180, a two-night stay for four in a king or double-queen room, valid Friday and Saturday
Included in all options:
- Ojai organic chocolates
- Bottle of wine
Amenities and Room Details
- Two outdoor swimming pools, including children’s wading pool
- Heated spa
- Complimentary bike rentals
- Complimentary continental breakfast
- In-house masseuse
- Rainfall showerheads
- DVD library (free rentals)
How To Book
- Purchase Groupon.
- Call The Capri Hotel by 4/30/12.
- Choose a date prior to expiration.
- Mention your Groupon and provide your credit-card info.
- One king or two queen beds
- Standard occupancy: Two, including children and infants
- Maximum occupancy: Four, including children and infants
- Adding occupants above standard: No additional cost
- Rooms overlook the pool area
- 42-inch flat-screen plasma TV
- Refrigerator and microwave
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: Free
- Rollaways: Available for $10 per night
- Smoking policy: No smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: Pets up to 50 pounds may be added for $20 per pet per night.
- Accessibility: Handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request during booking.
- Room upgrades: Not available
What It's Worth
- For $149, a two-night stay for four in a king or double-queen room, valid Sunday–Thursday (up to $280 value)
- Or, for $180, a two-night stay for four in a king or double-queen room, valid Friday and Saturday (up to $280 value)
Included in all options:
- Ojai organic chocolates ($10 value)
- Bottle of wine ($15 value)
Total value: up to $305
- By plane: 44 miles from Santa Barbara Municipal Airport (SBA); 78 miles from Bob Hope Burbank Airport (BUR)
- By car: About 34 miles east of Santa Barbara; about 84 miles northwest of Los Angeles
The Fine Print
- Promotional value expires May 1, 2012. Amount paid never expires.
- Not valid 1/1/12, 2/14/12, 2/20/12, or 4/8/12
- Must complete travel by 4/30/12
- Limit 2 per person, may buy 2 additional as gifts
- Limit 2 per visit
- Valid only for option purchased
- Reservation required; subject to availability
- 72hr cancellation notice or fee of applicable one-night's stay up to the amount paid for Groupon applies
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Valid for a king or double-queen patio or balcony room
- Credit card required at check-in
- 10% tax not included.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- Ask for a room in the back away from the frequented highway for a quieter night’s rest.