Hotel at a Glance: Apache Casino Hotel
The Apache Casino Hotel's onsite casino features more than 750 slot machines and nine table games, such as blackjack, three-card poker, craps, and Texas hold'em. In addition to gaming (this Getaway includes a casino credit), this southwest Oklahoma hotel puts guests near the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge and Fort Sill, a US Army post.
- Grab a bite at one of the onsite restaurants: 360 Restaurant offers a mix of Mexican, Asian, Italian, and American cuisines; Summit Coffee pours Starbucks brews; and Loft Bar offers snacks in the casino.
- Go for a swim in the outdoor pool or relax in the whirlpool.
- In-room amenities include 42-inch flat-screen TVs, coffeemakers, and WiFi.
- Cozy up in front of an outdoor fireplace.
- Squeeze in a workout at the fitness center.
Lawton, Oklahoma: Former Frontier Town near the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
Lawton is a relatively young town, formed in 1901 when the federal government opened the territory to homesteaders. Kansas native Mattie Beal was the second name drawn in the homesteader lottery, and the house she erected on the 160-acre plot still stands today. The Neoclassical Greek Revival estate is on the National Register of Historic Places and is furnished with period antiques. Take a self-guided tour to see what life was like on the frontier prairie in the early 20th century.
The Museum of the Great Plains also contains historical gems. Outdoor exhibits include a train depot with a steam locomotive, an original prairie schoolhouse, and a replica of the Red River Trading Post. Nearby, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge has acres of unspoiled prairie and unique geological formations, as well as a herd of 650 bison. The refuge also supports populations of wild turkeys, elk, prairie dogs, and river otters.