Romantic Bed and Breakfast in Sonoma County’s Russian River Valley
About 75 miles north of San Francisco lies the Russian River Valley, an up-and-coming wine region where you’ll find the Applewood Inn situated amid massive redwood trees. With this Groupon you’ll receive a winery passport for tastings and tours at 100 nearby vineyards—you’re welcome to stop by as many as you like during your visit. You’ll also be treated to welcome glasses of wine.
- Rustic charm: The Applewood’s main building is a nearly century-old mission-style mansion with exposed wooden beams, thick stucco walls, and warm fireplaces made with river rock.
- Comfortable accommodations: Rooms come equipped with down comforters, plush bathrobes, and windows opening up to ferns and redwoods outside.
- Greet the day with a daily two-course hot breakfast, served with coffee and champagne.
- Relax with a $50 voucher towards a soothing side-by-side couples’ massage.
- Raise a glass with a $75 voucher towards guided wine tasting tours and transportation at nearby vineyards.
Russian River Valley, California: Trendy Wineries and Historic Towns
An up-and-coming wine region in Sonoma County, the Russian River Valley is located about 30 miles east of Napa Valley. Wine Enthusiast magazine has praised the area for its “great wine, stunning landscapes, and friendly people.” It’s known for producing stellar chardonnays and pinot noirs.
In the heart of the valley lies the town of Santa Rosa, a former railroad outpost founded in the mid-19th century. Many early settlers were of Italian descent, so the area around the railroad depot became known as Little Italy. Today, Santa Rosa’s Railroad Square retains its old-fashioned ambiance, but the historic brick buildings now house modern restaurants, specialty shops, and antique stores. Visit the Charles M. Schulz Museum to learn more about the life of the Peanuts cartoonist, who called Santa Rosa home for the latter half of his life. The museum’s exhibits range from an in-depth look at animation to the largest collection of Peanuts strips in the world.