Hotel at a Glance: At the Waters Edge Bed and Breakfast
At the Waters Edge Bed and Breakfast is as advertised: it’s set right along the shores of Lake Michigan, 10 minutes from Door County. When you aren’t distracted by views of the water, there’s plenty to look at on the property. Guests can choose from an array of whimsically themed rooms: the Nautical suite has a painted border of waves around the room and framed pictures of beach scenes, and the Northwoods suite’s rustic wooden bed and earthy color scheme give the feeling of being tucked away in a log cabin.
- Gourmet breakfast may include specialties such as cheese soufflé, apple pancakes, or peach-praline french toast
- Enjoy lake breezes from your private balcony, or kick back in the terraced backyard area.
- Award winner: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- Sample wine at nearby von Stiehl Winery, which makes 25 vintages from local and imported fruit.
- Go for a swim or soak up the view at Crescent Beach Boardwalk, just 1.5 miles from the hotel.
Algoma, Wisconsin: Fishing Community on Lake Michigan’s Shores
Driving down the coast of Algoma in summer, you could easily mistake it for Cape Cod—you’ll pass by quaint harbors, picturesque lighthouses, and sandy beaches. The innumerable Packers fans might be the only sign that you’re actually in Wisconsin. Situated on the scenic Schooner Coast of Lake Michigan, Algoma was originally home to the lake’s largest commercial fishing fleet, and it retains a thriving sport-fishing community to this day.
Around town, a dozen or so murals decorate many of the buildings, each paying tribute to a current or former Algoma business and painted in a vintage style that hearkens back to the 1940s. In the wintertime, snowmobilers and cross-country skiers take to the Ahnapee State Trail, which spans 30 miles.