Hotel at a Glance: At the Waters Edge Bed and Breakfast
At the Waters Edge Bed and Breakfast is as advertised: it’s set right along the shores of Lake Michigan, 10 minutes from Door County. When you aren’t distracted by views of the water, there’s plenty to look at on the property. Guests can choose from an array of whimsically themed rooms: the Nautical suite has a painted border of waves around the room and framed pictures of beach scenes, while the Honeymoon suite sets the stage for romance.
- Gourmet breakfast may include specialties such as cheese soufflé, apple pancakes, or peach-praline french toast.
- Enjoy lake breezes from your private balcony, or kick back in the terraced backyard area.
- Award winner: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- Sample wine at nearby von Stiehl Winery, which makes 25 vintages from local and imported fruit.
- Go for a swim or soak up the view at Crescent Beach Boardwalk, just 1.5 miles from the inn.
Algoma, Wisconsin: Fishing Community on Shores of Lake Michigan
Driving down the coast of Algoma in summer, you could easily mistake it for Cape Cod—you’ll pass by quaint harbors, picturesque lighthouses, and sandy beaches. The innumerable Packers fans might be the only sign that you’re actually in Wisconsin. Situated on the scenic Schooner Coast of Lake Michigan, Algoma was originally home to the lake’s largest commercial fishing fleet, and it retains a thriving sport-fishing community to this day. As you explore the town, keep an eye out for murals paying tribute to current and former Algoma businesses.