Hotel at a Glance: Balch Hotel
The lovely, historic Balch Hotel in the Columbia River Gorge has views of Mt. Hood and features honey-colored wood floors, a continental breakfast, and warm, comfortable decor. Located amid rolling green hills, the hotel is just minutes from wineries, museums, and shopping.
- Maryhill Museum of Art: This getaway comes with two passes.
- Start the day right with an included continental breakfast.
- Portland day trip: The shops, cafes, and quirky ambiance of Oregon’s largest city are about an hour and 40 minutes away.
- Treats for guests: chocolate chip cookies, tea, and hot chocolate
- Unique guest rooms boast handsome woodwork and antique furniture; some units feature views of Mt. Hood. No rooms contain TVs, allowing guests to unplug and relax.
Dufur, Oregon: Small Town Surrounded by Mountain Scenery
Dufur is a small village set in the Columbia River Gorge, just a little over 90 miles from Portland. Nearby attractions include the Maryhill Museum of Art, located just across the state line in Goldendale, Washington. This small but expertly curated museum features an outdoor sculpture collection and work by Auguste Rodin and Art Nouveau glassworkers, along with a constantly changing slate of visiting exhibits.
The real draw in Dufur, however, is the great outdoors. The area is perfectly positioned to enjoy more sunshine than the rest of the state gets, and it’s minutes from the hiking trails of Mt. Hood National Forest and the banks of the Columbia River. If you’re in the mood for some beautiful scenery and delicious wine, you can visit six nearby wineries for tours and tastings.