Hotel at a Glance: Balcones del Atlantico
Rumor has it Christopher Columbus once dubbed the Samaná Peninsula “the fairest land on the face of the earth.” The thick tract of land juts into the Atlantic Ocean on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. You can survey the peninsula from a hammock on the private beach at Balcones del Atlantico. The decor of the hotel is easy on the eyes, too—interior designer Patricia Reid decorated the villa suites with bright, tropical colors, hand-carved furniture, and local artwork.
- Onsite dining at the beachside Porto restaurant, known for its fresh seafood
- Recommended entrees: Lobster or Shrimp Risotto and Peruvian-style shrimp ceviche
- Lounge around on your room's private, landscaped terrace.
- Must-see nearby attraction: El Salto del Limón waterfall, a 170-foot cascade that plummets into an aquamarine pool
- Best beach for windsurfing and kiteboarding: Playa Punta Popy
Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic: Tropical Beauty on the Samaná Peninsula
Once a rustic fishing village, Las Terrenas is today an up-and-coming beach destination located on the Dominican Republic's Samaná Peninsula. Over the past two decades, the town's population of expats has grown, creating a diverse mix of residents reflected in the local restaurants. You can find French and Spanish cuisine, authentic Dominican entrees, and even thin-crust pizza.
Accessible only via boat, Los Haitises National Park is a must-see attraction. You can arrange for a tour of the park’s islets, cays, and mangrove swamps— keep an eye out for blue herons, pelicans, and Hispaniolan parakeets along the way. The national park also has an intricate cave system worth exploring. The cavern walls are adorned with petroglyphs left by Taino Indians, the island’s original inhabitants.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to travel to the hotel from the airport? Samana Airport (AZS) is about 15 miles from the property, with direct flights from JFK every Wednesday and Saturday with JetBlue or Las Américas International Airport (SDQ) is about 89 miles from the property. Private transfers from SDQ are available for an additional fee; contact the hotel directly to arrange; subject to availability.
2. Is there an additional occupancy fee, or do I have to purchase another Groupon? The Groupon covers two guests in a one-bedroom villa suite and up to four guests in a two or three-bedroom villa suite. Adding occupants above standard is $122 per night for each additional guest 18 or older; $49 per night for each child 17 or younger.
3. Will I be approached to attend a timeshare sales presentation? Groupon customers are never obligated to attend a sales presentation. If you are approached and decline a presentation, you will not lose the value of your Groupon or have to pay additional fees.
4. Which activities and amenities are included in the resort credits? Resort credits are not included with the Groupon.
5. Are dinner reservations required for restaurants? Is there a dress code? Dinner reservations for the onsite restaurants are not required and there is no specific dress code. For more information about your dining options, please click here or call 809-240-5011.