Hotel at a Glance: Bay Pointe Inn
Bay Pointe Inn's manicured lawns sit directly on Gun Lake. You can see its gently lapping waters from the private balconies of lakeside superior rooms, or, on warmer days, from one of the whitewashed Adirondack chairs that dot the property. The lake connects to the Yankee Springs Recreation Area, which offers plenty of winter activities, including 10 acres of cross-country ski trails, ice fishing, and wildlife viewing—white-tailed deer and wild turkeys are often spotted during this time.
- Romance is in the air: Some options include a romance package with champagne, rose petals on the bed, and a $50 dining credit to Terrace Grille Restaurant.
- Award winner: Bay Pointe Inn received TripAdvisor's certificate of excellence in 2013.
- The suite life: Lakeside deluxe suites feature a gas fireplace, whirlpool tub, and kitchenette with a wet bar.
- Seafood specialties: fried lake perch, walleye risotto, and the fresh catch of the day
- Cocktails with a history: Terrace Grille Restaurant's moonshine-based and handcrafted cocktails are inspired by Al Capone, who is rumored to have owned a house on Gun Lake during Prohibition.
- Nearby attraction: Gun Lake Casino, which has slots, video poker, and table games
Gun Lake, Michigan: Year-Round Recreation, Casino, and Local Wineries
Gun Lake lies right in between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, in an area dotted with rolling hillsides, small lakes, and rural communities that include Shelbyville and Wayland. In addition to swimming and boating, the all-sports lake is known for its excellent smallmouth bass, yellow perch, and walleye fishing. To the east, it borders the Yankee Springs Recreation Area, a 5,200-acre park with year-round recreation. Hiking, fishing, and swimming are especially popular in the warmer months; once winter hits, visitors take to the icy terrain on cross-country skis and snowmobiles. There are also a number of local wineries and breweries nearby, which you can visit all year long for tours and tastings.