Vacation Through Norway’s Fjord Country
Included in all options:
- Round-trip airfare from New York City (JFK) (flight time: about 8 hours) or Chicago (ORD) (flight time: about 12 hours) on best-available carrier
- Two nights of standard accommodations in Oslo
- Three nights of standard accommodations in Bergen
- Scenic train ride from Oslo to Bergen
- Airport transfers
- Click here to view the itinerary.
You’ll take an overnight flight from America on Day 1 and arrive in Oslo on Day 2. You’ll have two full days to explore Norway’s sprawling capital city, which is surrounded by virgin forests, mountains, and fjords. Locals make the most of Oslo’s short summer by swimming and sailing in Oslofjord, the inlet that the city sits on. Boat tours launch regularly from the city harbor, making stops at several tiny islands offshore.
Oslo is also home to some of Northern Europe’s best museums, including the Munch Museum, whose 20,000-piece collection was donated by Norwegian painter Edvard Munch himself. Visitors come in droves to see his most iconic work, The Scream, but there’s also a series of self-portraits that reveal the artist’s battle with anxiety. Art lovers should also make a trip to Tjuvholmen, or Thief Island. The area has recently been transformed into a vibrant arts district, anchored by the Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art, which just moved into two Renzo Piano-designed buildings.
Other suggested highlights:
- At Holmenkollen Ski Museum and Ski Jump, visitors can see panoramic city views from the building’s jump tower, and ride a ski-jump simulator, and take in 4,000 years of ski history
- The Viking Ship Museum contains three Viking funeral ships dating from the 9th century that were discovered in the Oslofjord between 1867 and 1904.
- Sample craft beers in the Grünerløkka neighborhood located across the river, or buy bags of fresh-off-the-boat shrimp along the harbor
Train from Oslo to Bergen
On Day 4, you’ll board a train on the Bergen Railway, one of the world’s most-spectacular train rides. The railway runs 308 miles from Oslo to Bergen, a 7-hour ride that passes through fjord country and Europe’s highest mountainous plateau.
Frommer’s calls Bergen “Europe’s most underrated city,” and you’ll have two days to explore the natural beauty and 14th-century history in Norway’s second-largest city. Due to its location, the summer sun shines well into the night, adding hours to its vibrant nightlife, and casting a beautiful light on the mountains and fjords that envelop the city. In the winter, the city’s oceanfront setting typically helps keep temperatures mild.
For a view of this magical landscape, hop aboard the Floibanen funicular, a mountain railway that takes you 1,050 feet above the city in less than 8 minutes. A hike through the Bryggen neighborhood, a UNESCO World Heritage Site along the wharf, also offers a unique perspective. The Hanseatic hub of trade for all of Scandinavia from the 14th to the mid-16th century, the neighborhood is today lined with reconstructed medieval homes and seafood restaurants. St. Mary’s Church is a good place to start this walk. As Bergen’s oldest building, the church features an ornate, baroque-style pulpit and beautiful twin towers.
- The house overlooking the water on Trolls’ Hill was once the home of the Norway’s greatest composer, Edvard Grieg. You can see the estate just as it was in 1907 when he died. Grieg’s Steinway grand piano is still used today for summer concerts and recordings.
- Grab a table at the Torget Fish Market and order a plate of fresh salmon and shellfish by weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
It is possible to fly from another airport, the exact cost will depend on your travel dates and the departure airport. Please contact Beyond Boundaries Travel for more details – email@example.com or (800) 487-1136.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, you may extend your trip for a supplemental fee at the time of booking.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
It depends on the age of the child and how many persons are in the room. Please contact Beyond Boundaries Travel for more details.