Hotel at a Glance: AbbyCreek Inn
The family-friendly AbbyCreek Inn is an ideal jumping-off place for outdoor adventures in the Methow Valley. Just a few hundred feet from the inn, you can launch tubing trips on the Methow River. A short drive will bring you to the Okanogan National Forest, where you can hike and bike amid the Cascade Range mountains.
- Home away from home: Guest rooms feature mini fridges, microwaves, and free WiFi.
- Kick back after a long day by watching free movie rentals on your room’s 39-inch flat-screen TV.
- Fuel up: The free continental breakfast spread may include seasonal fruit, yogurt, pastries, coffee, and flavored teas.
- Have a cookout: Fire up the grill and enjoy your meal in the riverside picnic area.
- Kids will have a blast swimming in the outdoor pool and playing mini golf.
Winthrop, Washington: Old West Town Surrounded by Forests
In the 1970s, Winthrop underwent an overhaul to pay homage to its Gold Rush roots. Today, it looks like it might have in the 1880s, with hitching posts, Old West–style storefronts, and wooden-plank sidewalks. To get in the spirit of the era, you can watch cattle drives and medicine shows or wet your whistle at the oldest legal saloon in the state. At the Shafer Museum you can truly see a slice of daily life with exhibits of artifacts collected from the 19th century. Afterward, you can take a little piece of Winthrop home with you by picking up a piece of local art at the Winthrop Gallery or some locally roasted coffee at Rocking Horse Bakery.
Set in a scenic valley carved out of the Cascades Range by glaciers, the remote region attracts hikers and mountain bikers in the warm months and cross-country skiers in winter. Spring and summer are ideal for wildlife viewing and boating on the Methow River, or you can travel 90 miles south to the narrow, fjord-like Lake Chelan, one of the nation’s deepest bodies of water.