Lodge at a Glance: AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck — Douglas
In 2014, readers of USAToday and 10Best chose the Saugatuck and Douglas area as the country's "best summer weekend escape." With a stay at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck — Douglas, you'll be able to find out why this community of no more than 2,500 year-round residents has garnered such a relaxing reputation. Visitors here love the Lake Michigan beaches, the art galleries, and the quaint restaurants, and the hotel complements the setting with simple, quiet rooms, and a fireplace in the lobby where one can curl up with a book.
- Complimentary hot breakfast: fresh-baked waffles, scrambled eggs, sausages, and oatmeal plus baked goods, juice, and fruit
- Go for a swim in Lake Michigan at Oval Beach—which Conde Nast Traveler has named as one of the world's top 25 shorelines—or in the lodge's indoor swimming pool.
- Explore the galleries on Center Street, just 1 mile from the hotel, featuring the work of local artists
- Distance from the Saugatuck Dunes: 6 miles
- Golden Promise: The hotel staff aims to treat visitors exactly how they'd like to be treated.
Douglas, Michigan: The Art Coast of Michigan
Though miles from the large museums in cities such as Chicago and Detroit, Douglas has made a name for itself as part of the "Art Coast of Michigan." Its galleries carry on the proud tradition of Western Michigan art and the late 19th-century arts-and-crafts movement. Its bustling art scene showcases work ranging from landscape paintings and abstract sculptural pieces to handmade art quilts. Visitors can also enjoy everything Lake Michigan has to offer by heading to Douglas Beach Park or nearby Oval Beach, which has been repeatedly called out by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the best small-town beaches.