Hotel at a Glance: Ashland Hills Hotel & Suites
This retro-chic hotel in southern Oregon is filled with whimsical wall art and surrounded by natural beauty. The hotel boasts views of the Siskiyou Mountains on all sides, and numerous places to take them all in: there’s an outdoor pool and hot tub (both open seasonally), a pair of tennis courts, and a furnished patio with a grill.
- Guest favorite: The hotel won a 2015 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.
- Where you’ll stay: Newly renovated guest rooms and suites have free WiFi and mini fridges. Some also have private balconies.
- Energy boost: Free coffee, tea, and apples are available at all hours.
- Get a workout in the pool (open seasonally) or fitness center or on the tennis courts.
- Complimentary breakfast is served each morning on the mezzanine.
- In the area: 3 miles from downtown Ashland and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival
Ashland, Oregon: Famous Shakespeare Festival and Rolling Hills near Wineries
If Ashland is famous for one thing, it’s the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Founded in 1935, OSF is one of the oldest nonprofit theater companies in the United States, and Ashland is its epicenter. Actors, directors, and designers come from all over the country to lend their talents to Shakespearean and contemporary plays for a season that runs from February through November.
Ashland’s offstage offerings are just as notable. Downtown Ashland hosts a popular farmers’ market each Saturday from May through October. Lithia Park, adjacent to the Shakespeare Festival grounds, is a pretty retreat from civilization: you can walk on paved paths through manicured gardens, or take to one of the rougher trails that go through the woods. Ashland is within a scenic two-hour drive of Oregon’s most beloved natural wonder, Crater Lake National Park. It’s also a short drive from dozens of vineyards, where you can sip local wines amid southern Oregon’s bucolic scenery.