Hotel at a Glance: Bay Pointe Inn
Bay Pointe Inn’s manicured lawns sit directly on the shores of Gun Lake. You can see the water from certain guest rooms as well as the Terrace Grille restaurant. The lake connects to the Yankee Springs Recreation Area, which offers plenty of activities, including cross-country skiing, ice fishing, and wildlife viewing—white-tailed deer and wild turkeys are often spotted during this time of year.
- Onsite dining: Some options include a $30 dining credit at the Terrace Grille restaurant (closed Sunday and Monday), where you can sample new menus – every 5 weeks or so. The Terrace Grille chefs are ready to customize the perfect menu brimming with locally sourced, sustainable ingredients all paired with top wines and craft cocktails.
- Cocktails with a history: Terrace Grille’s moonshine-based and handcrafted cocktails are inspired by Al Capone, who is rumored to have owned a house on Gun Lake during Prohibition.
- The suite life: Each lakeside deluxe suite features a private balcony, a whirlpool tub, and a kitchenette.
- Award winner: Bay Pointe Inn received TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence in 2014.
- Nearby attraction: Gun Lake Casino
Gun Lake, Michigan: Year-Round Recreation, Casino, and Wineries
Gun Lake lies midway between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, in an area dotted with rolling hillsides, small lakes, and rural communities including Shelbyville and Wayland. In addition to swimming and boating, the all-sports lake is known for its excellent smallmouth-bass, yellow-perch, and walleye fishing. To the east, it borders the Yankee Springs Recreation Area and Barry State Game Area, a combined 22,000 acres with year-round recreation. Hiking, fishing, and swimming are especially popular in the warmer months; once winter hits, visitors take to the icy terrain on cross-country skis and snowmobiles. There are also a number of wineries and breweries nearby offering tours and tastings all year.