Hotel at a Glance: Bay Pointe Inn
Bay Pointe Inn’s manicured lawns sit directly on the shores of Gun Lake. You can see the water from certain guest rooms as well as the Terrace Grille Restaurant. The lake connects to the Yankee Springs Recreation Area, which offers plenty of activities, including cross-country skiing, ice fishing, and wildlife viewing—white-tailed deer and wild turkeys are often spotted during this time of year.
- Dining credit: Some options include a $40 dining voucher at the Terrace Grille Restaurant, where you can sample fried lake perch, walleye risotto, and other seafood specialties. The restaurant is open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday Labor Day through Memorial Day.
- Award winner: Bay Pointe Inn received TripAdvisor’s certificate of excellence in 2013.
- The suite life: Lakeside Suites feature a three-sided gas fireplace, whirlpool tub, pullout sofa, and kitchenette with a wet bar.
- Cocktails with a history: Terrace Grille Restaurant’s moonshine-based and handcrafted cocktails are inspired by Al Capone, who is rumored to have owned a house on Gun Lake during Prohibition.
- Nearby attraction: Gun Lake Casino
Gun Lake, Michigan: Year-Round Recreation, Casino, and Local Wineries
Gun Lake lies midway between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, in an area dotted with rolling hillsides, small lakes, and rural communities including Shelbyville and Wayland. In addition to swimming and boating, the all-sports lake is known for its excellent smallmouth bass, yellow perch, and walleye fishing. To the east, it borders the Yankee Springs Recreation Area and Barry State Game Area, a combined 22,000 acres with year-round recreation. Hiking, fishing, and swimming are especially popular in the warmer months; once winter hits, visitors take to the icy terrain on cross-country skis and snowmobiles. There are also a number of local wineries and breweries nearby offering tours and tastings all year round.