Hotel at a Glance: Bayshore Resort
The Victorian-style Bayshore Resort sits on the shores of one of the midwest’s most glorious natural features—Lake Michigan. The location is perfect for appreciating Traverse Bay’s gorgeous scenery and for exploring downtown Traverse City, just a few block away.
- Guest rooms come with cable TV and free WiFi. Spa rooms also feature two-person whirlpool tubs.
- Take advantage of the free airport shuttle to Cherry Capital Airport (TVC), located just 4 miles away.
- Go for a swim in the indoor pool or soak in the whirlpool.
- Wake up to a daily continental breakfast.
- Location, location: The resort is tucked away at the back end of the West Arm Grand Traverse Bay, within a short drive of area wineries and Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Traverse City, Michigan: Charming Cherry Capital of the World
One of USA Today’s 10 Great Places for Local Wines, Traverse City draws visitors year-round with its fine riesling wines made from grapes grown in the fertile Old Mission Peninsula. The proclaimed “Cherry Capital of the World,” Traverse City is tucked between the pinky and index finger on the hand-shaped state of Michigan, bordered by scenic Grand Traverse Bay to the north and the sprawling Traverse City State Forest Area to the east.
The town’s downtown and waterfront thrive with gourmet restaurants and local landmarks such as State Theatre, a recently restored art-house cinema built in 1949; families can drop by for the $0.25 Saturday-morning matinee. A drive north up the peninsula eventually ends at the whitewashed Old Mission Point Lighthouse, a local relic constructed in 1870.