Hotel at a Glance: Beach Colony Resort
You won’t find too many places in Myrtle Beach more serene than the outdoor pool complex at Beach Colony Resort. Guest can float along a lazy river, relax in a whirlpool, and get glimpses of the ocean from two pools and a palm-fringed sun deck. When they want to swim in the Atlantic’s blue waves, they need only cross a wooden walkway from the pool area to the beach.
- Home away from home: Perfect for families, oceanfront suites and ocean-view two-bedroom condos feature separate bedrooms and living rooms and kitchenettes or full kitchens.
- Onsite dining: Enjoy ocean views with your meal at the lounge or the breakfast café, or snack on pizza or ice cream at either of the poolside snack bars.
- Take a dip in the indoor pool and whirlpool.
- Turn kids loose in the kiddie pool or the video-game arcade.
- Get active: Work out in the fitness room or head to the racquetball and shuffleboard courts.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: Sandy Beaches, and Classic Amusement-Park Rides
Myrtle Beach is the crown jewel of South Carolina’s Grand Strand, a 60-mile stretch of white, sandy beaches along the Atlantic seaboard that draws surfers, fishers, and kayakers. The city was named one of the best vacation spots in the United States for a family by USA Today, in part because of its wooden boardwalk, which stretches for more than a mile and buzzes with carnival games and amusement-park rides. Hop into the SkyWheel Ferris wheel, surrounded by more than a million LED lights, for a panoramic view of the city below.
Less than 20 miles south of Myrtle Beach, the tiny fishing village of Murrells Inlet provides a tranquil contrast to the boardwalk’s hustle and bustle. At Brookgreen Gardens, more than 1,400 original sculptures stand amid sprawling floral gardens and massive, moss-covered oak trees that have been around for centuries. Murrells Inlet is also home to the Tom Fazio–designed TPC Myrtle Beach golf course, 1 of nearly 100 courses in the area that helped Myrtle Beach earn its title as the seaside golf capital of the world.