Hotel at a Glance: Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Connecticut might not immediately spring to mind as a haven for casinos, but it’s actually home to one of the biggest in the world—Foxwoods Resort Casino. Guests staying at the Bellissimo Grande Hotel enjoy complimentary shuttle service (weather permitting) to the nearby complex, outfitted with six casinos, 4,800 slot machines, and more than 250 gaming tables.
- Get caffeinated: Put your daily $5 Starbucks voucher toward a frothy drink or a hot cup of joe at the onsite Starbucks kiosk.
- Italian flair: Owner Patrick Levantino drew inspiration from his Italian upbringing to decorate the hotel; the spa and lobby feature Renaissance-style frescoes and paintings.
- Visit the bistro for an entree such as eggplant parmesan or chicken alfredo, or enjoy room service.
- Distance from Foxwoods: 4 miles
- Go shopping at the nearby Tanger Outlets, where you’ll find retailers such as J.Crew and Kate Spade.
North Stonington, Connecticut: Quaint Town in Mystic Country
North Stonington, set 9 miles inland from the coast, is part of Connecticut’s fabled Mystic Country, known for its rolling hills, scenic drives, and historic towns. Sample wines at Jonathan Edwards Winery or try your luck on the blackjack table at Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods Resort Casino, one of the largest casinos in the world in total area. It also houses a massive poker room and bingo hall. The Mystic Aquarium features New England’s only beluga whales, as well as African penguins, moray eels, and nurse sharks.