Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Bard’s Inn
Best Western Bard’s Inn is all about paying homage to the original Bard, William Shakespeare. Situated in Ashland—home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival—the inn sports a massive mural of the playwright on its exterior while adding subtle Elizabethan touches to the decor with elegant patterned fabrics.
- Fill up at breakfast with housemade biscotti, quiche, breakfast burritos, and more.
- Bring Fido: The hotel is pet-friendly and sits just one mile from a 2-acre dog park.
- In-room amenities: flat-screen TVs, free WiFi, hairdryer, fridge, and coffeemaker
- Go for a swim in the seasonal outdoor pool or year-round hot tub, which overlook the town and provides views of the mountains.
- Location: The hotel is two blocks away from the historic Ashland Plaza and within walking distance of Lithia Park.
Ashland, Oregon: Rogue Valley Wilderness and Vibrant Theater Scene
The 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail links Ashland with the Klamath National Forest to the south and the Umpqua National Forest to the north. At the former, located about an hour’s drive away, you can spend the day hiking, whitewater rafting, and panning for the shining gold flakes that still swirl down the Klamath River. Although it’s a bit farther away, most consider Umpqua National Forest worth the trip, since it includes Crater Lake National Park, which features a bright-blue lake formed from a volcanic caldera.
Closer to the hotel, the acclaimed Oregon Shakespeare Festival runs from February to November, gracing area theaters with the Bard’s tragedies, comedies, histories, romances, and blank-verse poetry slams. Backstage tours and special student matinees can deepen your appreciation of a production, but reserve your tickets for performances and special events early—many of the festival’s offerings sell out well in advance.