Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Executive Inn & Suites
Best Western Executive Inn & Suites was awarded TripAdvisor’s 2013 Certificate of Excellence after guests praised it for its cleanliness, friendly staff, and central location. The hotel is just a 5-minute drive from downtown Colorado Springs and a 15-minute drive from many natural attractions, including Cave of the Winds and the red-rock formations of Garden of the Gods.
- Most popular nearby attraction: Pikes Peak, which boasts the world’s highest cog railroad, is just 30 miles away.
- Family-friendly amenities include an indoor pool and a free continental breakfast of assorted breads, cereal, fruit, and hot items.
- Good place to relax: by the fireplace in the lobby’s seating area
- Fitness room—open 24/7—includes a treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike
- Microwaves and mini fridges are available in some king rooms.
Colorado Springs, Colorado: Cultured College Town Where the Mountains Meet the Plains
Colorado Springs is the second-biggest city in Colorado, but it still has a frontier feel; there are vast plains and towering mountains just east of the city. At more than 14,000 feet, Pikes Peak dominates the landscape. The mountain—once thought to be insurmountable—inspired part of the lyrics to “America the Beautiful.” You can hike the mountainside or take in the surroundings by car along the 19-mile Pikes Peak Highway, which doubles as a racing course for motorcycles and cars during the annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.
You can easily reach the summit of Pikes Peak via the Cog Railway, a three-hour train ride that makes a steep climb past boulders, streams, and trees that are roughly 2,000 years old. Along the way, keep an eye out for Colorado’s state animal, the bighorn sheep; they gather in herds in the mountains.
Though a lot of activity here skews toward the outdoors, Colorado Springs has plenty else going for it, particularly in the artistic realm. Downtown you’ll find the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, home to masterpieces by contemporary American painters that include John Singer Sargent and Georgia O’Keeffe. You can also participate in an art walk through local art galleries on the first Friday of each month from April through December.