Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Green Tree Inn
Just across the river from Kentucky, the Best Western Green Tree Inn provides an Indiana base for exploring Louisville. Comfy rooms have free WiFi, mini refrigerators, and TVs with tons of cable channels.
- Enjoy an afternoon snack of complimentary cookies.
- Complimentary breakfast with eggs, cereal, fruit, juice, and coffee
- Shop till you drop: River Falls Mall and Green Tree Mall are both within a mile of the hotel.
- Distance to Louisville: 6 miles
- Within 10 Miles: Churchill Downs (home of the Kentucky Derby) and the KFC Yum! Center (home to Louisville Cardinals basketball).
Louisville, Kentucky: Southern City with Legendary Sports Attractions on the Banks of the Ohio River
Sometimes referred to as the northernmost southern city, Louisville is located along the Indiana-Kentucky border on the banks of the Ohio River. Each year on the first Saturday in May, throngs of well-dressed folks descend on the city’s Churchill Downs to watch the “most exciting two minutes in sports”—the Kentucky Derby. Though the horserace and the events surrounding it last only a few days, the track hosts other races from April to November and operates a museum full of artifacts and hands-on exhibits you can see seven days a week.
Another Louisville mainstay is the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory, which offers a 30-minute guided tour of its famed baseball-bat-making operation. The 120-foot-tall Louisville Slugger stationed out front is billed as the largest bat in the world. In the museum, you can participate in interactive exhibits that take you inside the manufacturing process and even let you test out the latest line of bats inside Bud’s batting cage. After the tour, each visitor receives a miniature souvenir bat for swatting away autograph-seeking fans.