Hotel at a Glance: Best Western of Lake George
The Best Western of Lake George occupies a rustic spot in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. The hotel’s central location puts it close to some of the area’s top attractions, including Tubby Tubes Outdoor Fun Park.
- Take a dip in the hotel’s heated indoor pool and hot tub.
- Get comfy: Guest rooms feature premium wood furnishings and flat-screen TVs; some have cathedral ceilings.
- Start the day right at a breakfast buffet with a waffle bar, cereal, pastries, and fruit.
- Theme park discount is available for Great Escape Six Flags theme park with advanced ticket purchase. Use the login name FWH and password SixFlags13.
- Visit Hicks Orchard, where guests can pick their own apples, cherries, and blueberries, as well as tour the farm winery and visit the petting zoo.
Lake George, New York: Outdoor Adventure near the Adirondacks’ Mile-Long Lake
Lake George is not without its admirers—Frommer’s calls it “the beating heart of the southeastern Adirondacks,” while local lore has it that Thomas Jefferson proclaimed it “the most beautiful water I ever saw.” More than 200 years after Jefferson’s declaration, the 32-mile-long lake is still a popular spot for sailing, swimming, and hiking in upstate New York’s Adirondack Mountains. For hiking, consider following the trail that leads to Shelving Rock Falls, a 50-foot cascade rushing down a series of boulders.
There are two great ways to see the beauty that Jefferson raved about. The first is to take a shuttle or hike 2 miles to the top of Prospect Mountain, which towers over Lake George at 2,030 feet. On a clear day, you can see 100 miles in any direction. The second option is to buy a ticket aboard a Lake George steamship, which cruises past the islands of the Narrows as well as several historic mansions.