Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Plus Austin Airport Inn & Suites
Situated within 5 miles of both downtown Austin and the airport, this Best Western is a convenient home base for exploring Texas's capital city. A 2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence winner, the hotel has a slew of amenities, including an outdoor swimming pool and a complimentary hot breakfast.
- Spacious digs: King and queen suites have separate living rooms with pullout sofas.
- Stay connected: The hotel has high-speed Internet, and rooms have 32-inch flat-screen TVs.
- Airport shuttle: runs from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Tour the Capitol: Guided and self-guided tours of the Texas Capitol building and grounds are available seven days a week.
- A night on the town: Sixth Street, a popular nightlife spot lined with quirky restaurants, hip bars, and dance clubs, is just 5 miles from the hotel.
- Longhorns football: Tour University of Texas’s colossal Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium. Guided tours last about 75 minutes.
Highlights of Austin, Texas
- Texas-Sized Capitol: Built in 1888, the pink-granite Texas Capitol building in Austin is the country's largest state capitol and even taller than the US Capitol in Washington, DC—proof that everything is, indeed, bigger in Texas.
- Keep Austin Weird is a popular motto here, appearing on bumper stickers and T-shirts. The weirdness manifests itself all over town, where you’ll find a death-metal-themed pizza place, a cathedral made of garbage, and the Museum of Natural & Artificial Ephemerata.
- Watch the Bats: Each night at dusk (from mid-March to November), an estimated 1.5 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from underneath the Congress Avenue Bridge to go hunting for food.
- Live Music Capital of the World: The city has nearly 200 venues, where bands play everything from blues to punk rock. In fact, Travel + Leisure magazine named Austin one of America's Best Music Cities, calling it the "mother ship for indie rock and alternative-country types." [
- Music & BBQ: Stubb's Bar-B-Q books some of the bigger acts that come to town, including the White Stripes, Johnny Cash, and Snoop Dogg.
- Popular Music Festivals: South by Southwest (mid March) and Austin City Limits](http://www.aclfestival.com/) (early October) draw in huge crowds each year.
- Must-See University of Texas Attractions: The Blanton Museum of Art, which boasts one of the country's most impressive private collections of old-master paintings, and the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library, dedicated to exhibiting artifacts related to the 36th president.