Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Plus-Carrier Circle
Freebies practically come standard at Best Western Plus-Carrier Circle. You can take advantage of complimentary offerings such as high-speed WiFi and a full breakfast spread with hot egg dishes, pastries, yogurts, cereals, and 100% arabica coffee.
- Cocktails and a jukebox are the specialties at Lucy’s Lounge, the onsite bar that serves appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and pizzas.
- Relax by the indoor pool.
- Break a sweat at the onsite fitness center with a treadmill and stationary bike.
- Go skiing at Labrador Mountain or Song Mountain—both are about 30 miles south of the hotel.
- Local wineries: The Syracuse area is home to such wineries as The Savvy Wine Cellar and Greenwood Winery & Bistro.
Syracuse, New York: University City Along the Erie Canal
The completion of the Erie Canal in 1825 ushered in a population boom in western New York, particularly for the small towns closest to the canal. The changes were perhaps most notable in Syracuse, where they culminated in the founding of Syracuse University in 1870 on the city’s most prominent hilltop. Today, University Hill is inhabited by some 20,000 students who spend their days in the school’s Romanesque buildings and their nights in the neighborhood’s vibrant bars and restaurants.
On the city’s west end, Burnet Park spans 88 acres, encompassing a golf course, a swimming pool, and the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. On a half-mile wildlife trail, you can journey past the zoo’s more than 700 animals—including lions, snow leopards, monkeys, and meerkats.
To learn more about the vital role Syracuse has played in the industrial health of the Northeast, check out the Erie Canal Museum. Near the city center, the Museum of Science and Technology features a number of hands-on exhibits—you can climb into the simulated cockpit of an F-16 jet, walk through a giant replica of the human heart, and dig for fossils in the Earth Science Discovery Cave.
Book a spring break trip for the chance to win a second trip!