Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Plus Sands Hotel
At the Best Western Plus Sands Hotel, you’ll stay in a downtown Vancouver hotel while still being able to walk to the beach. This laid-back and renovated hotel is within strolling distance of Stanley Park and English Bay, and features a restaurant, two bars, and updated rooms.
- Where to eat: The onsite Park at English Bay restaurant serves upscale pub breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, with 24 craft beers.
- Bring Rover: The hotel is pet-friendly, offering complimentary treats and maps to dog parks. Pets stay with a $15 charge.
- Drinks and appetizers at the onsite Bayside Lounge come with views of the water
- Work out in the newly renovated fitness center, then unwind in the dry sauna
- Walk to the shops and restaurants of downtown Vancouver
- Optional dining package gets you breakfast vouchers at the two onsite restaurants, and a parking package worth a combined $40 per day.
Downtown Vancouver: Bustling Metropolis with Beautiful Harbor Views
A west-coast cosmopolis, Vancouver’s location on a peninsula between English Bay and Vancouver Harbour presents a rare blend of urban amenities and natural splendor. You can catch glimpses of the waterfront—and the North Shore Mountains beyond—all across the city, but it’s worth it to visit historic Gastown to shop, dine, and stroll along the harbor. Another retail area worth checking out is Robson Street, a three-block stretch of northern downtown lined with boutique clothing stores and cafes.
At the tip of the peninsula lies Stanley Park, whose 900 acres (400 hectares) encompass forests, beaches, and gardens. The Seawall, a 13-mile (22 km) waterfront path, encircles the park and has designated lanes for walkers, joggers, cyclists, and inline skaters. There are numerous smaller parks spread throughout the city, too, making Vancouver feel like an urban oasis.