Hotel at a Glance: Big Moose Inn
Set right on Big Moose Lake, Big Moose Inn offers a peaceful getaway in the rustic Adirondack country. Since its construction in 1903, the lodge has been renovated many times, giving it a homey, vintage feel but with modern conveniences. You can kick back while reading by the fire, or enjoy views of the lake or forest from your room with a cup of joe.
- Complimentary continental breakfast is served daily in the lakefront dining room. In the evening, head to the dining room for a gourmet dinner, where you can dig into filet mignon, salmon, or roasted duckling (hours vary by day).
- Find adventure outdoors while hiking, swimming, or mountain biking through the countryside.
- Complimentary equipment rentals: You can borrow the hotel’s kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats for free.
- Grab a drink at the onsite tavern (hours vary by day), which serves up beer, wine, and cocktails, as well as burgers and other simple eats.
- Notable accolades: Big Moose Inn was awarded a TripAdvisor 2014 Certificate of Excellence.
Old Forge, New York: Remote Town in the Adirondack Mountains
Webb may be the largest town in New York in terms of size—it’s spread across roughly 500 square miles amid the Adirondacks—but it’s small in population. In fact, the ‘town’ is mostly untouched land, with a handful of small hamlets carved into Adirondack Park. This park itself occupies more than 6 million acres, and it’s home to 46 of the highest peaks in the Adirondack Range, a grouping known among mountaineers as “the 46.” Anyone who manages to climb each peak takes his or her place among an exclusive group, but amateurs beware: 20 of the mountains are trail-less and require bushwhacking to reach the top.
Among the many hamlets in the area, Old Forge is one of the best. The interactive, multi-arts center View aims to preserve the creative spirit of the Adirondacks with musical performances, art exhibits, and workshops ranging from woodworking to memoir writing. The community of Eagle Bay, meanwhile, offers plenty of outdoor adventure, from boating and hiking in the summer to snowboarding and skiing in the winter. It’s also the setting of Theodore Dreiser’s award-winning novel, An American Tragedy, and the Academy Award-winning film A Place In the Sun, both of which were based on the true story a century-old murder that took place in Big Moose Lake.