Hotel at a Glance: Black Bear Lodge
If you look out from the grounds of this New Hampshire lodge, you’ll see stretches of rolling green hills and distant views of the White Mountains. Black Bear Lodge is part of Waterville Valley Resort, and you can explore the park by riding a mountain bike on tree-lined trails or by boating on Corcoran Pond. Inside the lodge, roomy guest suites are decked out with quilted bedding and woodsy decor.
- Summer activities include skating in the indoor ice arena and riding the Snow’s Mountain Chairlift. Be sure to take advantage of the freedom pass that comes with your stay; one per guest staying in room.
- Recent recognition: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- Take a dip in the outdoor pool or relax in the hot tub
- Full kitchens help you feel at home in your deluxe suite, which comfortably accommodate ups to six people.
- Welcome distractions: There’s a sauna and a game room with a pool table.
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire: Peaceful Resort Area in the White Mountains
Located in the shade of the White Mountains, Waterville Valley invites visitors to explore wooded trails bordered by jagged rock formations. The landscape’s natural beauty also makes it a nice spot for photographers, who come to snap pictures of the wildlife. As you hike, you might spot moose, white-tailed deer, or black bears. Climb up Mount Tecumseh to see sweeping views of the valley from more than 4,000 feet in elevation.
Most visitors come here to ski the trails at Waterville Valley Resort, which takes advantage of the region’s idyllic setting. But in the summer, the resort becomes a pleasant playground for outdoor recreation. Here you can golf on one of New Hampshire’s oldest courses, kayak on Corcoran Pond, and mountain bike along 30 miles of well-marked trails.