Hotel at a Glance: Boca Raton Plaza Hotel & Suites
Winner of a 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, Boca Raton Plaza Hotel & Suites is located in the heart of its namesake city. Guests can take a relaxing dip in the outdoor pool and hot tub, or enjoy a drink at the poolside tiki bar. About 2 miles away is Mizner Park, a Mediterranean-style, open-air venue where you can take in an outdoor concert, go shopping, dine outside, or visit the Boca Museum of Art. The museum’s collections feature works by Andy Warhol, Guy Pène Du Bois, and Henri deToulouse-Laurtrec, as well as a 2-acre contemporary sculpture garden.
- Sun and sand: Work on your tan or play in the waves at the beach, just a short walk away.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the onsite restaurant, Our Place, which specializes in hot roast-beef sandwiches
- Stretch out in your spacious room, which is outfitted with a fridge, microwave, 32-inch LCD TV, and free WiFi.
- Fit in a workout at the hotel’s fitness center.
- Drink local: A short walk away, The Funky Buddha Lounge & Brewery serves up small plates and desserts, as well as house-brewed Sick Boy scotch ale and Hop Gun IPA. It’s also a venue for comedy shows and live music.
Boca Raton, Florida: Seaside City with Shopping, Nature Preserves, and Coral Reefs
Situated between Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, sunny Boca Raton offers a wealth of outdoor activities on or near the Atlantic shore. One popular destination is Mizner Park, a vast, open-air entertainment venue and cultural center. Its picturesque streets are lined with restaurants, shops, and world-renowned luxury jewelers.
Musical notes drift through the warm Florida air from the Mizner Park Amphitheater, which hosts the free Friday Night Summer Tribute concert series and other events throughout the year. The park is also home to the Boca Museum of Art, which features a 2-acre outdoor sculpture garden and collections that span from pre-Columbian art to modern and contemporary works. Those looking for some serious shopping can head to nearby Royal Palm Place, an outdoor shopping mall that boasts a wealth of boutiques, restaurants, and nightspots.
Not to be missed are Boca Raton’s 5 miles of beaches. Those at Red Reef Park and South Inlet Park are particularly notable for their proximity to living reefs. Visitors can comfortably swim from the shore to see trumpetfish, fire coral, and octopus up close. Another place to see local wildlife is at the educational Gumbo Limbo Nature Center and its 20 acres of protected barrier islands. The environmental complex offers a butterfly garden, boardwalk, and mangrove sea tanks filled with coral reefs. Boca Raton is also within easy reach of the Everglades—head to the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, just northwest of the city, to see the wetlands’ famous alligators and water lilies.