Hotel at a Glance: Cambria Suites Appleton
Don’t be fooled by its size—the quaint college town of Appleton has plenty of personality. Downtown, you’ll find trendy shops, restaurants, museums, and Lawrence University along the Fox River. The surrounding area is noted for its scenery; be sure to stop by High Cliff State Park, on the shores of Lake Winnebago. Cambria Suites Appleton makes a comfortable base camp, located just 4 miles from the university.
- Grab a bite at the onsite bistro-style restaurant, which serves breakfast and dinner.
- Go for a ride on the bike path that wends near the property.
- In-room amenities: cable TV, coffeemaker, microwave, refrigerator, and free WiFi
- Cannonball: Go for a swim in the indoor pool.
- Squeeze in a workout at the onsite fitness center.
- Free airport shuttle to nearby Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW)
Appleton, Wisconsin: Theater, Dining, and Upscale Shopping Along the Fox River
Situated about two hours north of Milwaukee, Appleton straddles the banks of the Fox River, which flows north from Lake Winnebago into Lake Michigan. Appleton is part of a chain of riverside communities collectively known as the Fox Cities. Along the river, you’ll find a number of public parks as well as the Hearthstone House, the first residence in the country to be powered by hydroelectricity. You can tour the four-story mansion four days a week.
Downtown Appleton is a walkable stretch of trendy restaurants, art galleries, and coffee shops. It’s also home to the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, where you can catch a Broadway show or symphony performance. The city is also home to the Fox River Mall, a major shopping center with plenty of upscale retailers.