Family-friendly resort with indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, and lazy rivers and direct beach access
Property at a Glance: Captain’s Quarters Resort
Captain’s Quarters Resort is all about family-friendly fun, right down to its mascot: a blue shark named Salty. Indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, and lazy rivers let you splash around all year long. You’ll also have access to the pirate-themed Shipwreck Lagoon outdoor kids’ water park and a seasonal poolside bar. The resort sits right along the Atlantic Ocean, with direct access to the region’s white, sandy beaches.
- A room with a view: Ocean-view suites, oceanfront efficiencies, and angle oceanfront suites have views of the Atlantic from private balconies.
- Roll a strike at the 20-lane bowling alley with electronic scoring.
- Cool down with a drink at the Tipsy Turtle pool bar (open seasonally).
- Oceanfront dining at Vista 9 and ocean-view dining at Loco Gecko Beach Shak
- Play time: The resort boasts an arcade with redemption prizes and pool tables.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: Sandy Beaches, Golf Courses, and Classic Amusement-Park Rides
Myrtle Beach is the crown jewel of South Carolina’s Grand Strand, a 60-mile stretch of white-sand beaches along the Atlantic seaboard that draws surfers, fishers, and kayakers. The city was named one of the best vacation spots in the United States for a family by USA Today, in part because of its wooden boardwalk, which stretches for more than a mile. Hop into the SkyWheel Ferris wheel’s gondolas, surrounded by more than a million LED lights, for a panoramic view of the city below.
Less than 20 miles south of Myrtle Beach, the tiny fishing village of Murrells Inlet provides a tranquil contrast to the boardwalk’s hustle and bustle. At Brookgreen Gardens, more than 2,000 sculptures stand amid sprawling floral gardens and massive, moss-covered oak trees that have been around for centuries. Murrells Inlet is also home to the Tom Fazio–designed TPC Myrtle Beach golf course, 1 of nearly 100 courses in the area that helped Myrtle Beach earn its title as the seaside golf capital of the world.