Hotel at a Glance: Carson Nugget Casino’s City Center Hotel
Entertainment is in the air at Carson Nugget Casino’s City Center Hotel, from weekly comedy shows to the eponymous Carson Nugget Casino located across the street (and a free shuttle ride away). The hotel tempers the ringing of slot machines with comfortable, newly remodeled rooms and a duo of onsite restaurants, including a steakhouse.
- Central location in the middle of historic downtown Carson City and close to area golf courses
- Visit Alatte coffee & wine bar, a $10 dining credit is included.
- Ha ha ha: Reservations booked over Friday nights include two free comedy show tickets, subject to availability.
- Lake Tahoe is about a 30-minute drive from the hotel.
- Carson City was voted the most travel-worthy capital in the US by USA Today.
Carson City, Nevada: State Capital and Gateway to Lake Tahoe
As the seat of government in Nevada and one of the state’s first cities, Carson City is filled with history to discover. A good place to start is at the Nevada State Museum, where guests can visit permanent exhibits documenting the Carson City mint, the city’s geologic history, and the region’s Native American inhabitants, in their own words. Rotating exhibits also swing through the museum with an emphasis on life in the American West. Though a rough-and-tumble town during its early days, today, Carson City is aglow with casinos and family-friendly entertainment.
Surrounded by the peaks of the Sierra Nevada, the 22-mile-long Lake Tahoe straddles the California-Nevada state line. Squaw Valley, home of the 1960 Winter Olympic Games, has 4,000 acres of skiable terrain spread across six peaks. Some prefer the more low-key atmosphere of Alpine Meadows, which has about half the acreage but a little more elbowroom, or Heavenly Valley.