Top Reasons to Stay at Carter House Inns
- These Victorian-style inns are located in historic Old Town Eureka, a few blocks from the waterfront as well as Redwood Highway, a scenic route that takes you through old-growth redwood forests and rugged coastal towns.
- There’s an onsite vegetable and herb garden that supplies fresh produce to the onsite Restaurant 301, which serves Pacific seafood and other Northern California specialties. If the inns can’t grow a certain type of produce onsite, they source it locally.
- Restaurant 301 has received Wine Spectator’s Grand Award every year since 1998. There are more than 3,500 wines on its list, including a few made under the inn’s own label by Mark Carter.
- You can enjoy a full breakfast each morning with fruit, pastries, and a hot egg dish, and in the evenings, a complimentary glass of wine with hors d’oeuvres.
- The airy guest rooms all have big windows that let in plenty of light. Grand suites feature fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, and sweeping views of the marina; some Really Nice rooms also have fireplaces.
Eureka, California: Historic Seaport Along the Redwood Highway
The coastal town of Eureka lies along the Redwood Highway in Northern California. Take a short drive in either direction and you’ll see dense redwood groves and steep bluffs with breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean. To experience the full majesty of the region, visit Redwood National Park. Here, more than 200 miles of trails weave through old-growth redwood forests with 300-foot-tall coastal trees.
Hundreds of ornate Victorian and early 20th-century mansions line the streets of historic Old Town Eureka; they’re left over from the town’s early days as a bustling seaport with lucrative logging and fishing industries. A famous example is the Carson Mansion, a three-story Queen Anne that’s considered one of the grandest Victorian homes in the country. Old Town is also a nice spot for shopping at local boutiques or just taking a stroll along the boardwalk overlooking Humboldt Bay.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.