Hotel at a Glance: Casa del Mar Beachfront Suites
Just a few hundred feet from Casa del Mar Beachfront Suites, waves crash against the Galveston Seawall, and the wooden 61st Street Fishing Pier extends into the Gulf of Mexico. From here, you can easily cruise to year-round attractions such as Schlitterbahn Galveston Waterpark and Moody Gardens—both are less than 10 minutes away by car.
- Recent recognition: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014 and voted #1 Condo Rental in 2014 by Galveston.com
- Room with a view: Each one-bedroom suite has a full kitchen, free WiFi, and a private balcony looking out onto the Gulf of Mexico.
- Take a dip in one of two onsite pools.
- Have an afternoon cookout in the outdoor barbecue area.
- Moody Gardens: One option of this getaway includes two tickets per night valid for one of these attractions: Aquarium Pyramid, Rainforest Pyramid, MG 3D Theater, 4D Special FX Theater, or Colonel Paddlewheel Boat.
Galveston, Texas: Exotic Animals, Water Parks, and Victorian Mansions on the Gulf of Mexico
Galveston occupies a barrier island roughly a half-hour drive from Houston. Its gulf beaches are bathed in sunlight more than 200 days of the year. Though Galveston’s climate is almost tropical, penguins waddle into chilly waters at the city’s most famous attraction, Moody Gardens. Nearby, saki monkeys roam a rainforest habitat, stingrays glide through a 1.5-million-gallon aquarium, and snow falls on moviegoers’ noses in a 4D theater. Another popular attraction is Schlitterbahn Galveston Water Park, where you can zoom down water slides and sidle up to a swim-up bar all year round.
Step back in time with a visit to downtown Galveston’s Strand District. Here, classic cars and horse-drawn carriages roll down streets lined with old-fashioned street lamps and elaborate Victorian mansions. These brick behemoths now house art galleries, antique stores, and shops selling homemade ice cream and handcrafted jewelry.