Hotel at a Glance: Cayman Suites Hotel
The ocean is never more than a few steps away at Cayman Suites Hotel, because it sits on a barrier island off Maryland’s coast. Atlantic Ocean beachfront is a half block to the east, and Assawoman Bay is a just a few blocks to the west. To the south, you’ll find old-fashioned rides and games at Jolly Roger Amusement Park.
- Go for a swim in the glass-enclosed heated pool.
- Suite amenities: Separate living room with sleeper sofa, efficiency kitchen with refrigerator and microwave, and free WiFi
- Refreshments: Sip complimentary coffee and hot tea, available in the lobby.
- Work up a sweat in the onsite fitness center.
- Within a three-hour drive: Baltimore, Washington DC, and Philadelphia.
Ocean City, Maryland: Historical Resort Town with Bustling Boardwalk
Although the beach is the main draw in Ocean City, this seaside resort town’s historical boardwalk always bustles with carnival-like energy. Constructed in 1902, the 3-mile wooden walkway is lined with old-fashioned diversions, including classic arcade games, rides, cotton-candy stands, and barbershop-dubtronica bands. At the south end of the boardwalk lies the Ocean City Life-Saving Station Museum, where exhibits tell the stories of daring maritime rescues performed by the legendary Surfmen.
Eight miles away, the quiet Assateague and Chincoteague Islands provide a stark contrast to the buzz of Ocean City. The wild horses roaming the beaches here inspired Marguerite Henry’s classic children’s novel Misty of Chincoteague. At Assateague Island National Seashore, you can observe the horses in their natural state while walking along 37 miles of sandy coastline.