Hotel at a Glance: Cayman Suites Hotel
The ocean is never more than a few steps away at Cayman Suites Hotel because it sits on a barrier island off Maryland’s coast. Atlantic Ocean beachfront is a half block to the east, and Assawoman Bay is a just a few blocks to the west. To the south, you’ll find old-fashioned rides and games at Jolly Roger Amusement Park.
- Go for a swim in the glass-enclosed heated pool.
- Suite amenities: Separate living room with sleeper sofa, efficiency kitchen with refrigerator and microwave, and free WiFi
- Refreshments: Sip complimentary coffee and hot tea, available in the lobby.
- Work up a sweat in the onsite fitness center.
- Within a three-hour drive: Baltimore, Washington DC, and Philadelphia
Ocean City, Maryland: Family-Friendly Boardwalk next to the Atlantic
Along Ocean City’s century-old boardwalk, you can savor wild-caught blue crab, play old-fashioned arcade games, and watch candy makers spin colorful saltwater taffy. The lively boardwalk, which stretches for 3 miles along Maryland’s eastern shore, helped earn Ocean City a spot on USA Today’s list of the “10 great places to have some fun on a boardwalk.” Kids can ride a ferris wheel and climb aboard one of the country’s oldest carousels at Trimper’s Amusement Park, a family-owned theme park open for more than 100 years.
Assateague Island National Seashore—a 37-mile stretch of salt marshes running from Ocean City down to Virginia—offers a peaceful reprieve from the boardwalk’s constant activity. The island’s famous wild horses gallop on the shores, and you can can climb up a vintage, candy-striped lighthouse, or hike the seaside forests to spot birds, including great horned owls, ruby-crowned kinglets, and great blue herons.