Hotel at a Glance: Champions World Resort
Located just south of Orlando, Kissimmee is called “the gateway to Disney” by Fodor’s. Champions World Resort is located in Kissimmee, so close to the parks that it has earned an official designation as a Walt Disney World Good Neighbor® Hotel. This status gives guests special benefits, including the services of an onsite itinerary planner.
- Hitch a ride: Champions provides scheduled transportation to Walt Disney World® Theme Parks, SeaWorld Orlando, and Universal Orlando Resort.
- Fun in the sun: The property features three heated swimming pools, a hot tub, one kiddie pool, a playground, a sports practice field, and a scenic nature park with lakes and beaches.
- Family-friendly dining: Frazier’s Place Restaurant & Lounge serves classic pub fare such as wings and burgers. Kids 10 or younger eat breakfast here for free.
- In-room amenities: Guest rooms include microwaves, refrigerators, and flat-screen TVs.
- Shop till you drop: The resort is close to the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores, where you’ll find discounted prices on brands such as Nike, Calvin Klein, and Nine West.
Kissimmee, Florida: Easy Access to World-Famous Theme Parks and Major Orlando Attractions
Located on the banks of Lake Tohopekaliga, Kissimmee sits about 22 miles from downtown Orlando and just 16 miles from the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks. The world’s most-visited entertainment resort spans roughly 30,000 acres, encompassing four theme parks, two water parks, five golf courses, and the Downtown Disney® Area. There’s no shortage of things to do here: begin your day at Magic Kingdom® Park by boarding Space Mountain® Attraction, a rocket-shaped three-seater that climbs to 180 feet before entering a deep black tunnel and racing past stars, satellites, and constellations. After that, ride past the ghastly goofballs inside The Haunted Mansion. For dinner, head over to Epcot® to sample cuisine from Morocco, Mexico, France, Italy, and several other countries at the World Showcase. As one of the most popular family destinations in the world, sunny Orlando is home to other theme parks including Universal Orlando Resort and SeaWorld Orlando.
Those hoping to shake up the typical theme-park-dominated itinerary can head into downtown Orlando’s vibrant arts district. The neighborhood boasts venues such as the CityArts Factory, a multifaceted patchwork of gallery spaces, and SAK Comedy Lab, which holds improv shows five nights a week.
About a 10-minute drive north, you’ll find several cultural institutions surrounding Loch Haven Park, including the Orlando Museum of Art; the collection features pieces by Georgia O’Keeffe, Robert Rauschenberg, Ansel Adams, and Andy Warhol. The park is also home to the Orlando Shakespeare Theater and the Orlando Science Center, where you can take a rover across a simulation of Mars or race model cars down a 70-foot pinewood-derby track.