4.5-star luxury hotel in the foothills of northeast Georgia has its own winery, plus seven restaurants and championship golf courses
The Chateau Elan lobby Atrium and guest rooms will be undergoing renovations beginning mid-June and lasting until mid-November 2019. During work on the Atrium, Versailles restaurant will be closed for dinner. Some daytime noise will occur during the month of August-September; however, renovations will be encapsulated to prevent any visible disturbance to guests. Guest rooms undergoing renovation will also be isolated by floor to limit any inconvenience to guests. The Spa Mansion will be closed to the public September 9-11.
Hotel at a Glance: Chateau Elan
Embracing both California-grown grapes and the Southeast’s native muscadine, Chateau Elan has become Georgia’s largest wine producer. The 3,500-acre estate bottles more than 20 styles, including the tropically flavored muscadry and a peppery merlot aged in French oak barrels. Visitors can learn more about the winery during guided tours and themed tastings.
- French country style: The 4.5-star hotel’s guest rooms are outfitted with soaking tubs and touches such as wingback chairs and upholstered bed frames.
- Seven restaurants range from gourmet American food to bar bites.
- For sporty types, the property has a Stan Smith-designed tennis center and championship golf courses.
- Resort life: Guests can unwind during a deep-tissue massage or winery ritual treatment at a luxurious spa.
- Praise: 2018 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor and AAA Four Diamond Award since 2002
Braselton, Georgia: Hiking and Boating in North Georgia Mountains
Set in the foothills of the Blue Mountain Mountains, Northeast Georgia is known for its rugged outdoors and scenic beauty. Frommer’s calls it one of “the best-kept travel secrets in the South,” noting its vast open park spaces and purple-hued peaks. The tiny town of Braselton, located about 50 miles northeast of Atlanta, is a gateway to some of the region’s top recreation spots. Fort Yargo State Park offers 20.5 miles of hiking and mountain-biking trails, as well as a 260-acre lake with swimming, fishing, and boating. Lake Lanier is also a popular boating spot, and it’s near a ziplining course and a water park.