Hotel at a Glance: Chesapeake Beach Resort
This waterfront resort has something to suit every kind of visitor to the Florida Keys. It has two pools and one hot tub, all of which overlook the Atlantic Ocean. Guests who wish to explore the landscape board charter boats for deep-water and back-country fishing excursions right from the resort’s dock. For a happy medium between sleepily sunbathing and heading out on a full-throttle fishing mission, the resort facilitates a variety of playful pursuits such as kayaking and bicycling.
- Garden-view and deluxe ocean-view rooms feature private balconies, free WiFi, mini fridges, and flat-screen HDTVs.
- Savor fresh seafood at a waterfront table at Wahoo’s Bar and Grill, located a 3-minute walk from the resort.
- Feeling lazy? Not a problem. You can order food from Wahoo’s and have it delivered to your room anytime between 11:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Fun on the water: An $18 resort fee (not covered by this Groupon) gets you unlimited access to the resort’s kayaks, paddleboats, bicycles, and catamarans.
- Rise and shine: The resort offers a breakfast buffet that includes scrambled eggs, bacon, yogurt, fruit, and more.
Islamorada, Florida: Beaches and Boating in the Florida Keys
Islamorada is a group of small islands in the Florida Keys, less than a two-hour drive from Miami. It’s home to some of the only living coral reefs in US waters. See these colorful formations up close while snorkeling or scuba diving; just rent gear or sign up for an excursion at one of the many shops renting watersports equipment. If you’d like to see what’s under the waves but would prefer to stay dry, book a glass-bottom boat ride. There’s really no excuse for not taking a dip, though—the water around Islamorada stays invitingly warm all year and beaches are plentiful.
There’s a seemingly endless supply of fresh local seafood at Islamorada’s laid-back restaurants and bars. To catch your own dinner, talk to one of the countless charter-boat companies that will take you out on the waves to reel in snapper, tarpon, and other tasty fish.