Hotel at a Glance: Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids - Airport
This Crowne Plaza sits in a suburban stretch between downtown Grand Rapids and Gerald R. Ford International Airport. The hotel's free airport shuttle makes it easy for travelers to get to and from the terminals. For those who've come to explore the city, downtown Grand Rapids is just a 15-minute drive away.
- In-room amenities include a flat-screen TV with cable and Sleep Advantage beds
- Hot breakfast buffet for two included with this getaway
- Enjoy a beer, cocktail, or glass of wine at Aryana Restaurant and Bar, located onsite. Grand Rapids recently won Beer City USA 2013 poll with over 27,000 votes.
- Go swimming year-round thanks to the hotel's indoor and outdoor pools.
- Stay fit in a 24-hour fitness room with a Universal weightlifting station, free weights, treadmills, a spinning bike, and an elliptical machine.
Grand Rapids, Michigan: Scenic River Walk and Thriving Arts Scene
Four Great Lakes surround Michigan, so most places in the mitten-shaped state aren't very far from water. This is certainly true of Grand Rapids, the state’s second-largest city, which sits about 30 minutes from Lake Michigan; it takes its name from the free-flowing Grand River that cuts through town. The river helped put Grand Rapids on the map as a transportation center. Over the years, though, the city has reinvented itself; there’s now a lively downtown area with gleaming office buildings, shopping boutiques, and a scenic river walk.
The city has worked to emphasize its arts-and-culture scene. The Grand Rapids Art Museum was relocated to a sleek, eco-friendly building in 2007. Inside, the museum has an extensive collection of 19th- and 20th-century paintings, sculptures, and furniture pieces. The Grand Rapids Public Museum is also worth a visit; it has a wide range of exhibits, including a re-creation of 1890s Grand Rapids and an early 20th-century carousel dubbed one of America’s Best by Travel + Leisure. The brilliantly painted carousel is one of only three of its style ever made. It sits within a glass building that juts out over a river.