Hotel at a Glance: Dahlonega Spa Resort
Dahlonega Spa Resort is nothing if not an escape. This peaceful resort is set in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, where there's no shortage of scenery to take in from numerous porches and decks. There may be no TVs in guest rooms, but you probably won't miss them: the property is full of trails to hike and meadows to explore.
- Oversize jacuzzi tucked into the woods
- Comfortable rooms feature private bathrooms and views of meadows, gardens, mountains, or forest.
- Cabin amenities include a sitting area, small refrigerator, coffee pot, individual heating and air conditioning, and small covered porch with chairs.
- Connect at your leisure with free WiFi.
- Stretch out at the onsite yoga hall or on 1.5 miles of trails.
- Book a massage at the spa or in the comfort of your guest room.
Dahlonega, Georgia: Small-Town Retreat with Gold-Rush Past
Dahlonega's name comes from a Cherokee word meaning "gold" or "yellow," and it's a testament to the town's rich past. In 1828, Dahlonega sprang up seemingly overnight when miners struck a rich vein of gold. Now, it's less a mining town and more a beautiful place to visit and live. Dahlonega is consistently named as a top place to retire, thanks to its bucolic scenery and laid-back vibe.
You can see a 5-ounce gold nugget and rare gold coins at the Dahlonega Gold Museum, which is housed inside Georgia's oldest courthouse. Or you can pan for gold yourself at Crisson Gold Mine, located right in town. From here, you can easily reach the Appalachian Trail and Chattahoochee National Forest. It's also close to more than 30 waterfalls, including Amicalola, one of the highest waterfalls east of the Mississippi.
If you're looking for more leisurely pursuits, Dahlonega has you covered. The downtown area is full of boutiques and restaurants catering to all kinds of tastes. Paul Thomas Chocolates, located in the town square, serves up chocolate-covered bacon and other sweet treats. For further indulgence, hit the Dahlonega Wine Trail, whose five wineries offer tours, tastings, and spectacular views.