Hotel at a Glance: Der Ritterhof Motor Inn
Der Ritterhof Motor Inn looks like a Swiss chalet in the middle of the Alps, down to the gingerbread trim on the lodge and snow-capped mountains in the distance. But it’s actually a roadside inn in Leavenworth, a Bavarian-themed hamlet nestled in the Cascade Mountains. Set along the town’s main drag, Front Street, the inn is only a five-minute walk from galleries, boutique gift shops, and cafés serving locally brewed beer.
- Start off the morning with a free continental breakfast.
- Play a game: The hotel has a sprawling front lawn where you can play croquet and badminton.
- Take a dip in the outdoor pool (open seasonally) or relax in the hot tub.
- Bring along Fido: Pet-friendly rooms are available for an additional fee.
Highlights of Leavenworth, Washington
- Alpine immersion: Leavenworth’s mountainous surroundings and Bavarian-style architecture might make you feel like you’ve set foot in Europe.
- German-style eateries: bars with beer gardens and restaurants where you can try kielbasa, bratwurst, ciderkraut, and specialty mustards
- Whitewater rafting on Class II and III rapids in the Icicle and Wenatchee Rivers
- 700 miles of hiking trails surround the town, meandering through the Cascade Range and the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
- Drive from Seattle: about two hours