Hotel at a Glance: EB Hotel Miami
This four-star hotel has the feel of a South Beach hot spot even though it’s located just a few miles from the Miami airport. Executive Chef Eduardo Franco—former host of a Venezuelan cooking show—helped design the menu of international cuisine with a hint of Latin flair at the hotel’s restaurant, Miranda. Sip wine or handmade cocktails and enjoy panko-breaded salmon.
- Cool down at the outdoor pool, featuring an seasonal outdoor bar.
- Sleep peacefully with soundproof windows and sleep-system adjustable beds in guest suites.
- Work out: The fitness center’s cardio and strength-training equipment is outfitted with touchscreens that can connect to tablets, smartphones, and MP3 players.
- Services available 24/7: room service and business center
- Distance from Miami Beach: about 10 miles
Miami Springs, Florida: Quiet, Family-Friendly Enclave Outside Miami
With its historic sites and low-key vibe, Miami Springs feels removed from the glitz and bustle of adjacent Miami. A Preserve America Community, Miami Springs boasts several notable sites open for tours; one is the former home of aviation legend and Miami Springs founder Glenn Curtiss. The Marine Corps Memorial honors the First Marine Aviation Force and its fifth-ever pilot, Roy S. Geiger, who fought in both World Wars and is considered one of the most distinguished flyers in Marine aeronautic history.
Just 10 miles away from this quiet town, Miami Beach’s high-rise hotels and candy-colored buildings cast their glittering lights onto the Atlantic. People from all over the world come here to enjoy the white-sand beaches, shop the high-end boutiques, and party at the see-and-be-seen nightclubs. The red-hot center of this social scene is South Beach, a 20-block stretch filled with upscale lounges, rooftop bars, and ultrahip hangouts set behind velvet ropes. The beach at Lummus Park is packed by midmorning, and many of the clubs on Ocean Drive and Washington Avenue stay open until 5 a.m.