Hotel at a Glance: Evangeline Downs Hotel
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino has more than 1,000 slot machines, plus live horseracing and four restaurants. Right next door is the family-friendly Evangeline Downs Hotel, which features an indoor pool and complimentary breakfast.
- Swanky guest rooms are trimmed in bold red, black, and white accents. Each suite includes a sitting area with a sofa sleeper.
- Start the day right with a complimentary breakfast.
- Take a dip: heated indoor pool and hot tub
- Stay connected with free WiFi throughout the hotel.
- Eco-friendly practices: The hotel is one of TripAdvisor’s Silver-Level GreenLeaders.
Opelousas, Louisiana: Historic City with Creole Flair
Dating back to the early 18th century, Opelousas is one of the oldest cities in Louisiana. It was once a trading post, and at Le Vieux Village, you can see historical Creole homes, a schoolhouse, and a post office. Be sure to check out the display of knives and weaponry that pays homage to pioneer James Bowie, he of the bowie knife fame, who once called Opelousas home.
The Creole and Cajun influence is evident in the city, which has been called the “Zydeco Capital of the World.” Local taverns and restaurants showcase this accordion- and washboard-heavy regional music and serve up spicy Cajun cuisine. While you’re in town, try such popular dishes as crayfish étouffée, jambalaya, and boudin sausage.