Hotel at a Glance: Florida Wildlife Adventure
Sometimes you want a classy vacation and sometimes you want an adventure. When you need a little bit of both, consider a retreat to Florida Wildlife Adventure, which combines the comfort of a high-quality hotel with the rustic feel of camping. Optional excursions include everything from wild boar and alligator hunting to horseback riding and air-boat tours.
- Where you’ll stay: Accommodations are either in the main lodge, which has its own heated spa and campfire pits, or in a private lodge.
- Optional add-on: Select options of this deal come with an airboat tour for two.
- Relax after a long day of hunting with a trip to the heated sauna and hot tub.
- Light a fire in one of the campfire pits before sharing stories and star gazing.
- Shoot some pool in the game room.
- Cook your own meals in the large, fully stocked shared kitchen or let the hotel’s private chef cook for you.
- Explore the great outdoors with fishing excursions or hunting for fowl, alligators, or hogs.
Punta Gorda, Florida: A True Boater’s Paradise
Just about anywhere in Punta Gorda that you can reach by car, you can also reach by boat. Waterways zig-zag through the town, making aquatic back alleys. Founded in 1884 as a port town, Punta Gorda stays true to its roots with palm-lined streets, old Florida–style homes, and ten historic buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. That’s a pretty impressive number considering much of the town burned down in 1905 and had to be rebuilt.
But Punta Gorda is as vibrant as ever. The waterfront near the marina has been transformed into Fisherman’s Village, a home for restaurants and chic boutiques. There are also 15 parks covering more than 100 acres, including Ponce de Leon Park, where you’ll find a 1/4-mile boardwalk through the wetlands and past Peace River, a boat ramp, two fishing piers, and a sandy beach.