Property at a Glance: Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village
Located just down the road from Heavenly Resort, Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village is a short jaunt from restaurants, nightlife, and outdoor fun in South Lake Tahoe. Hop on the Heavenly Mountain Gondola for a scenic 2.4-mile ride, complete with panoramic views of Lake Tahoe and Carson Valley. When you reach the top, explore the mountain on miles of rugged hiking and biking trails. Forest Suites Resort is also within walking distance of casinos and the lakefront.
- Walking time to the lake: 15 minutes (5 minutes by car)
- One- and two-bedroom suites feature full kitchens, large living rooms with sleeper sofas, and LCD TVs.
- Eco-friendly practices: The resort uses energy-efficient LED light bulbs and biodegradable Eco Botanic soaps. Guests who decline daily housekeeping are rewarded with wine or snack packs.
- Stay fit: Guests can sign up for “green” fitness classes at Elevated Fitness, a carbon-neutral, human-powered facility that uses inverter-equipped spin bikes to supply 100% of the building’s electricity.
- Start your day with the resort’s full breakfast, including sausage, eggs, and potatoes.
- Play golf: There are more than 25 courses within an hour’s drive of the hotel.
- Recent award: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Lake Tahoe, California: Year-Round Haven for Outdoor Adventures and Late-Night Revelry
Lake Tahoe has no real off-season; people find ways to make use of its pristine water, beaches, and mountains all year long. In the summer, the lake’s clear, freshwater surface—which straddles the California-Nevada border—is dotted with swimmers, boaters, and jet skiers. Several ski resorts with world-class slopes typically stay open from November to April, and Emerald Bay State Park is accessible year-round. A moderately easy hike to the base of Lower Eagle Falls reveals breathtaking views of the waterfalls crashing down from above.
A diverse crowd of spectators gathers at night for South Lake Tahoe’s various events, which range from wine and food festivals to rock concerts and fireworks displays. A few miles northwest of South Lake Tahoe sits Stateline, Nevada, where a handful of casinos host high-stakes games of blackjack and solitaire.