Hotel at a Glance: Fort William Henry Hotel
In 1855, the stately Fort William Henry Hotel opened along Lake George’s south shore in upstate New York. Today, the hotel comprises a cluster of buildings and several onsite restaurants on an 18-acre swath of land. Some guest rooms overlook Lake George, while others offer views of the Adirondack Mountains.
- Stately accommodations: The elegant furniture and decor in grand rooms hark back to the 19th century; premium rooms provide modern comforts and contemporary style.
- Breakfast credit of $5 per per person up to two people is included with this Groupon.
- Go for a swim in the indoor pool, or relax in the sauna and hot tub.
- Museum discount is an additional 20% off adult and senior admission price to the Fort William Henry Museum when they mention the Groupon code FWH15.
- Theme park discount is available for Great Escape Six Flags theme park with advanced ticket purchase. Use the login name FWH and password SixFlags13.
- Golf discount of 20% off green and cart fees at Top of the World Golf Course when using the Groupon code TOTW15.
Lake George, New York: Outdoor Adventure near the Adirondacks’ Mile-Long Lake
Lake George is not without its admirers—Frommer’s calls it “the beating heart of the southeastern Adirondacks,” while local lore has it that Thomas Jefferson proclaimed it “the most beautiful water I ever saw.” More than 200 years after Jefferson’s declaration, the 32-mile-long lake is still a popular spot for sailing, swimming, and hiking in upstate New York’s Adirondack Mountains. For the best swimming conditions, head to Million Dollar Beach on the lake’s eastern shore, where there are lifeguards on duty, changing rooms, and a sand volleyball court. For hiking, consider following the trail that leads to Shelving Rock Falls, a 50-foot cascade rushing down a series of boulders.
There are two great ways to see the beauty that Jefferson raved about. The first is to take a shuttle or hike 2 miles to the top of Prospect Mountain, which towers over Lake George at 2,030 feet. On a clear day, you can see 100 miles in any direction. The second option is to buy a ticket aboard a Lake George steamship, which cruises past the islands of the Narrows as well as several historic mansions.