Hotel at a Glance: Garden Hotel & Conference Center
Just south of the Wisconsin border, the Garden Hotel & Conference Center is a five-minute drive from downtown Beloit. Businesspeople will appreciate the 11,000 square feet of meeting space and free WiFi, while leisure travelers will enjoy being able to walk to Turtle Creek Park and Stateline Restoration Prairie.
- Surf ‘n’ turf: The onsite restaurant serves all-you-can-eat fish fry on Fridays and prime rib specials on Saturdays.
- Stay in shape at the fitness center.
- Go for a swim in the indoor pool or keep up your routine at the fitness center.
- Take me out to the ballgame: Head 4 miles north of the hotel to Pohlman Field, where you can see the Beloit Snappers in action.
- Distance from downtown Beloit, WI: 2 miles
Beloit, Wisconsin: Home to One of America’s Greatest Main Streets
Situated right on the Wisconsin-Illinois border, Beloit is a small town with a lot to offer. Start any visit with an exploration of downtown, which Travel + Leisure named one of America’s Greatest Main Streets. The charming collection of shops, galleries, and venues along State Street attract the locals, as does the seasonal farmer’s market. Head north down the road and turn onto Pleasant Street and you’ll find the Beloit College campus, home to the Smith Observatory and Wright Museum of Art. If you’re in search of something a little more offbeat, head to The Angel Museum, which displays a collection of more than 11,000 angel figurines, including 600 donated by Oprah herself.
About 9 miles east of downtown lies the Welty Environmental Center at Beckman Mill County Park. The 50-acre tract includes the historic Beckman Mill, but the real draw here is the wildlife. Prairies, wetlands, ponds, and streams all welcome various animals, including the rare bald eagle, to coexist. The Center’s staff leads educational programs for kids and adults in order to teach the community about the area’s original inhabitants.